Top 10 Predictions for Local Media in 2013
Video Local Media (VLM) is
a Continuous Advisory Service (CAS) for cross-platform media and
technology companies that want to leverage video media
assets and inventory in local markets. The program focuses on
business and technology strategies in local
video networks, devices and content market
segments. VLM CAS clients have ongoing direct access to research, expert analysis, market intelligence, and networking as it relates to the local video media ecosystem.
BIA/Kelsey analysts discuss the events and activities that will have the biggest effect on the local media industry this year. PDF
Transforming Local Video Media
Television and radio broadcasting established
the unique value of audio and video media in the
local market and offered proven success metrics
that showed how audiences and advertisers earned large slices
of the media consumption and spending pies.
However, video services that
complement the services of local broadcasters
have made dramatic inroads into local markets.
Video now includes:
Broadcast, broadband cable and fiber, Wi-Fi, and 3G/4G mobile services provide connection paths for devices including:
- Live television from local stations
- Digital out-of-home (DOOH) video signage
- Over-the-top (OTT) video on Internet-connected sets
- Video publishing sites featuring professional and user-generated content
- TV and radio receivers
- Mobile handsets
- Game consoles
- Media connectors that bridge TV and radio receivers to the Internet
This dramatic shift indicates there isn’t a single broadcast business environment, but a whole ecosystem of content, technology and media businesses that now work together under emerging business models to set the new rules of engagement with audiences, advertisers and media.
The VLM program helps companies understand and participate
intelligently in the video space and understand
and profit from the disruptive influence of local video advertising
in the local media market. The VLM program assists our media and
technology clients by providing deep
intelligence about the market’s direction and
viable economic opportunities.
Helping You Make Confident Strategic Decisions with Reliable Research Data
BIA/Kelsey’s research shows that local video advertising is a disruptive force in the local media space.
Commerce Monitor: SMB Plus Spenders study indicates small and medium-sized businesses spending at least $25,000 annually on advertising are on track to double usage of local video advertising by 2015. The firm’s
research also reveals 54 percent of this group intends to purchase video
advertising from one source and run it across multiple platforms.
BIA/Kelsey research indicates SMBs plan to increase use of ‘Web
VLM clients have access to BIA/Kelsey's research and analysis on the business models, technology, advertising models, trends, and partnership opportunities in order to better understand and operate in the local video cross-platform marketplace.
VLM Reports: Covered and Planned Topics
- Cross-platform metrics—making and evaluating buys
- What’s the impact of streaming audio services in the
- Mobile vendors—assessment and outlook
- Digital out-of-home update and trends
- Local media stock values: How are they faring?
- FM on cell: Is it worth it?
- Media Ad View: Category Report—a national overview
- Local TV stations and Internet video: Are they players in the ‘OTT’ market?
The VLM Advantage
Being a Continuous Advisory Services client is not just about access to BIA/Kelsey's vast library of important data and reports. The real value comes through the individual and personalized attention clients receive from our analysts - a team of knowledgeable, globally recognized and trusted subject matter experts who provide:
- Continuous Advisory Services: Benefit from a focus on digital
platforms and technologies for local video
media. Our industry experts guide
you in applying relevant data to your business,
offer insights regarding your specific
business strategy, provide you with introductions
to key players that align with your business
strategy, and offer financial expertise
and identify or facilitate funding opportunities.
- Analyst Access: Access to the top video and digital
media analysts covering areas such as media
business models, revenue development, strategy,
financial trends, technology trends, regulatory
and policy, and valuation helps drive successful
product and investment decisions. Our clients
leverage analysts' perspectives on how
industry events may affect profitability,
R&D investments and
business success. Peer-to-peer discussion
provides a grounded view of how to maintain
or build on current success.
- Broad Local Media Viewpoint: BIA/Kelsey provides a comprehensive local media viewpoint across 12 local media advertising platforms, including broadcast, online, search, mobile, directories and social media, from the most experienced source.
- Proprietary Research: Studying the shifting patterns of advertisers and users of traditional and digital media.
Who Subscribes to VLM?
Clients of VLM are companies with a stake in the future of the
video as it relates to networks, devices, advertising, content, out-of-home, mobile, cross-platform and social.
Types of clients include:
- Cable operators
- Satellite companies
- Digital out-of-home (DOOH)
- Streaming media companies
- Local telephone companies offering video programming packages
- Over-the-top video service providers
- Professional services firms such as attorneys, engineers, equipment suppliers and software vendors
- Studios and content owners
- Advertising agencies
- Trade associations